Ophthalmic Assistant 12 Week Course for New Hires ®
Course Description for Ophthalmic Trainers, Managers, and Administrators
(This course subsciption also includes the following courses: Telephone Skills for the Eyecare Office and Universal Precautions and Infection Control)
This course is designed to supply the didactic training needed to take an unexperienced new hire to the level of a productive ophthalmic team member within a period of 12 weeks or less when supplemented with hands-on experience in a clinic environment. The course provides background in all content areas that are tested in the JCAHPO ophthalmic assistant certification exam. A well rounded assistant is a more efficient assistant.
Eyetec.net also offers a mini version of the 12 Week Course: Click here for a comparison of the two courses.
Features of this course:
- Daily course assignments designed to progress in a logical manner while providing subject variety for the student. You can follow the set progression or mix assignments to fit the particulars of your practice needs.
- Daily course assignments are designed to take the student about 1 hour to complete, so that it is possible for the student to complete the assignments during work hours.
- Daily open-book quizzes to reinforce the reading material. You are able to view the daily quiz scores. Quizzes also provide accountability and a record of achievement.
- Daily timed quizzes that give you a better idea of how much the student is learning. A timed quiz tests retained knowledge as the student does not have time to look up the answers.
- Printable webpage that gives you a record of progress and achievement.
How to use this course:
- It is best that the manager register the trainee on eyetec.net. The manager should create the username and the password and share the information with the trainee. Be sure to enter the trainee's complete name into the "name" field during the registration process because this name will appear on the course webpage and on the printouts. You will purchase the course while logged in as the user. You can change the credit card information fields to match the information of the credit card holder. Eyetec.net does not retain any credit card information. This is handled via Paypal or Authorize.net via their encrypted weblinks.
- Once the course is purchased, you will have access via the course homepage, which is listed on the "my courses" page, which has a link on the "CE Courses" tab on the top menu bar.
- The trainer/manager should share the login information with the trainee so that both can login to the course. The trainer will want to make assignments and follow the progress of the trainee.
- Although there are daily assignments for each workday of the 12 weeks, the assignment timeline can be as flexible as you need it to be. The course fee includes 20 weeks of access to the course.
- The course is designed to be used by one trainee per login. The quizzes are not repeatable once the quiz is completed. The quizzes record the time that the quiz was taken, as well as the quiz score. The quizzes serve as an important record of progress over time, accountability in that it is likely that the trainee actually read/studied the material if there are good quiz scores, and documentation that training has taken place on specific subject matter.
The course also includes a "Clinical Skills Evaluation" log, which is a MSWord document that can be modfied to fit your practice. This document can be used to keep track of the progress made in the clinic environment regarding the skills needed to be an effective ophthalmic team member.
Subject matter covered in this course: