How eyetec.net can help you with your "independent study course" COA® exam application requirement
Close this window when finished to return to the previous page.
If you are taking the COA® Exam
The Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel In Ophthalmology requires you to pass an "Independent Study Course" quiz (exam) before you can apply for and take the COA® certification exam.
The "independent study" course exams are completely separate from and do not have complete coverage of the content areas that are tested on the COA® certification exam. The reason that people take the eyetec.net COA Exam Prep Course is that the independent study courses do not cover enough information for a person with little experience to be able to pass the certification exam.
There are only two "approved" Independent Study Courses:
1. The AAO Course is the most expensive, $175 for text and exam
2. The Career Advancement Tool Course from the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology is less expensive at $115 for text and quiz.
The eyetec.net COA® Exam Prep Course provides you with facts regarding the independent study courses that will help you save money, time, and effort while completing this requirement.
Facts about the "Career Advancement Tool" course from the Joint Commission
1. This is the least expensive option for completing the "independent study course" requirement for the COA certification exam application.
2. The application requirement is met by passing the "exam" that is part of the course. When the exam is passed, you print a certificate that you send in with your application.
3. The exam ($35) can be purchased separate from the Tool (text plus exam, $115).
4. You don't need the text to be able to pass the exam. You can use a different resource.
5. The exam is "open book", meaning you can look up the answers.
6. You can purchase a printed exam, or you can purchase an online version. It is preferable to purchase the online exam because you get your result immediately. It may take weeks for you to get the results of the printed exam.
7. There are currently two versions of the exam, version 10 and version 11. Be sure you purchase version 11.
8. The exam can be purchased via the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel website. From the homepage, use the top menu bar and click the "store" link. On the store page, search "career advancement tool".
When to take the independent study course online quiz: Since the quiz is online (you get the results and letter instantly), you can wait until just before you submit your certification exam application to take the quiz. You have at least 6 months of access to the eyetec.net prep course. You may want to submit your certification exam application when you have about 2 months of prep course access left. If you have little experience as an ophthalmic assistant, you will be better prepared for the independent study course quiz after a few months of prep course study.
More information about the eyetec.net COA Exam Prep Course